Ergonomics is the study to increase the user efficiency at work with respect to comfort parameter.
Ergonomics about furniture
It is essential to maintain good posture throughout the day for the health of the spine and to increase productivity of the work.
- Position of the monitor and the accessories is the key to reduce strain.
- Set straight in front of the monitor, keep keyboard and mouse center to it, you should be able to see the display with seeing down or either side.
- Place the monitor in such way that, top of your monitor should be 0-20deg below horizontal line of sight.
- Maintain the comfortable viewing distance (in range of 40-74cm), font size can be adjustable according to the viewer.
- Keep the mouse next to keyboard and use it without twisting your hand by adjusting the motion / sensitivity of the mouse.
- Refreshing the monitor is not enough, even you need a break to refresh your body and brain, especially from computer work, long stretches of work, when uninterrupted, can strain the body, eyes & soul. So take regular time break (a couple of minutes for every half hour or so).
- Feet flat on the floor or on a foot rest.
- Use ergonomic chair for seating.
Ergonomics about Chairs
Human beings have to be on move. Over straining of back muscles is the usual problem when we continue to sit for long hours at work. A good ergonomic chair gives good support to the body by adapting to individual shapes. While sitting top of the monitor has to be level with your eyes. It is ideal that feet should be flat on the floor. A good chair has the mechanism of supporting, holding and moving well designed.
A good chair should help you to get the 'S' curve which is the natural shape of the spine. A bad chair or wrong position will give you 'C' curve which is not a good seating position bad designed chair leads to excess pressure on spine thereby causing back pain over a period of time.
Benefits of LCD monitor arms
Usage of it in the work desk has lot of benefits. User can adjust the monitor height based on the sitting comfort and posture. Worktables can be designed with less dimensions. Swiveling of arms means many users can view the same monitor.